1953-1993 W. Gray Ave.
1952-1996 W. Gray Ave.
Architect: Raymond H. Brogniez
City of Houston Landmark
The center’s second phase continues the design scheme of the 1937 River Oaks Community Center. The expansion consists of two nearly identical buildings flanking West Gray Avenue. The project was developed by the William G. Farrington Co., which was building the Lamar-River Oaks Community Center at the same time.
The clocks were added to the River Oaks buildings during a 1988 renovation; otherwise, the structures remained substantially unaltered until a 2011 renovation hid much of the buildings' Moderne detailing behind EIFS and sandstone panels.
Proposed redevelopment threatens the entire River Oaks Shopping Center.
above | façade, 1964 W. Gray, 2007
detail | façade detail, 1973 W. Gray, 2007
Photo by David Bush