Houston Deco: Houston's Modernistic Architecture
402 Laurel Drive, Friendswood
Historic name: Friendswood School
Current name: Friendswood Junior High School
School completed: 1939
Gymnasium completed: 1949
Architect (school): Lamar Q. Cato

Although most of the historic school building remains intact, the gymnasium lost its distinctive modernistic façade during a 1993 renovation. Cato was the architect for the initial project, but it is not clear whether he designed the gymnasium and cafeteria that were added a decade later. Friendswood School was funded by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works.

above | gymnasium façade, c. 1970
detail (top) | gymnasium façade, 2006
detail (bottom) |
entrance, 2006

Photo courtesy Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston Public Library
  Copyright 2014 Preservation Houston | terms of use | contact us