Houston Deco: Houston's Modernistic Architecture
905 Main St.
Historic name: The Smart Shop
Current name: Holy Cross Chapel
Completed: 1928
Architect: Alfred C. Finn
GHPA Good Brick Award, 2004

The building’s façade was "updated" in 1965 with plain panels similar to those used on the adjacent Krupp & Tuffly shoe store. The façade was reconstructed in 2003-04 using Finn’s original blueprints as a guide.

above | restored façade of The Smart Shop building, 2006
detail (top)
façade, 1953
detail (middle)
"updated" façade prior to restoration, 1990s
detail (bottom) | façade detail, 2006

Photo by Jim Parsons
  Copyright 2014 Preservation Houston | terms of use | contact us