Houston Deco: Houston's Modernistic Architecture
914 Main St. (at Walker)
Historic names: Levy Bros. Dry Goods, Chamber of Commerce Building
Current name: Commerce Towers
Completed: 1929, expanded 1940
Architects: Joseph Finger (original design, 1928), Alfred C. Finn (revised design, 1929; 1940)

In 1928, Finger planned a four-story building for the Levy Bros. Dry Goods store. Jesse H. Jones later commissioned Finn to add five floors of office space above the Levy store. At the same time, Finn removed most of Finger’s proposed Art Deco ornamentation. In 1939, Jones commissioned Finn to increase the building’s height to 22 stories.

above | façade, 1929
detail (top) | Joseph Finger's original design, 1928
detail (upper center) | lower floors, 2006
detail (lower center) | north view of building, 2006
detail (bottom) | advertisement, 1929

Photo courtesy Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston Public Library
  Copyright 2014 Preservation Houston | terms of use | contact us